Then I went about the business of painting and distressing them here. That went really fast. They were pretty easy to paint. They were primed on all sides, but I only painted the black on the front and edges. No use in wasting paint on the backs when no one would ever see that side!
They then sat in the shed for a few weeks. I wanted to make sure that the paint fumes had worn completely off since we would be laying our heads right next them them every night. I also sat them outside for a full day in the sun, which helped too.
Then I had Kevin help me lay them down and screw brackets in three spots on the back side. When we sat them up, they were still pretty flimsy, so we decided that we needed to add two brackets to the front. We put them low enough that the bed would hid them. That seemed to do the trick!
Then the fun part was getting them inside the house! We had to put them together in the shed and then haul them over in the pickup because we didn’t have a big enough space in our house to lay them flat to attach them there!
Then Kevin measured and drilled two holes on each side to attach the headboard to the bed frame. He used bolts, nuts and washers to attach it. Then we slide it into it’s place against the wall!
This is what the bed looked like before the makeover:
And here is the after!
I sewed pillow cases for the three blueish ones in the back and also the three small ones in the front. I found some inspiration on Pinterest. Imagine that! 🙂 The blueish material was leftover from our bathroom shower curtain which is right across the hall. I also used black accents and the walls are a gray color in there. So it kind of ties the two rooms together.
I also sewed three curtain panels for the windows (one is not shown below). These were pretty easy to do. I used the curtain rods that were already in place from before, although there was a second curtain rod below it that I have decided to take down and patch the holes. With our curtains before there was a long curtain and then a valance above it. Now I’m just using curtains so I don’t need the second rod.
Clean out closet Add new shelving and storage units in closet Paint walls, ceiling and closet a pale gray color Paint and distress all furniture black Paint and distress two old doors and make them into a headboard Add new hardware to furniture Replace ceiling fan and donate old one Buy two matching lamps for nightstands New bedding-duvet cover, two pillow shams and bed skirt New curtains-find material and sew them Sew decorative pillow
- Patch holes and paint from where the second curtain rod hung
- Find two matching nightstands-paint to match other furniture
- Hang some kind of artwork over Kevin’s chest of drawers
- Move rocking chair into bedroom
- Make a blanket or quilt for chair to match bedding
- Paint jewelry box
- Paint mirror and hang above jewelry box