Hello! I’m trying to get back into the flow of things, but this month has been off to a crazy, busy start! With that being said, quick and easy suppers are a must around here. Yesterday late afternoon after unpacking, doing laundry, and taking a (short) nap with Axten, I thought I better figure out what I was going to make for supper. Most of the time we eat leftovers or pizza (something easy) on Sundays, but since we had been gone most of the week there were no leftovers. So into the deep freeze I went. I found some diced ham that was leftover from another meal and a package of edamame. In the cupboard was a package of noodles and a can of cream of celery. In the fridge was a partial block of mozzarella and sour cream. And in the spice cupboard I found the Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, and dried onions. I was set!
This kid-friendly (and husband-friendly) casserole was put together in about 20 minutes (see recipe below) and then popped in the oven to bake while Kevin and Axten went out to feed the cows.
While they were outside doing chores, I asked Hudson to help me do the dishes. I needed to run downstairs real quick to switch laundry so I opened the dishwasher for him. I didn’t think about it at the time, but he did say, “I don’t know how to do that.” I assumed he didn’t want to help me unload the dishwasher, but I just asked him to start with the silverware and I’d be right back. That’s what I usually have him do so I figured he could handle it for a few minutes.
When I came back upstairs this is what I found. Hudson was doing the dishes in the sink! I had already rinsed the dishes, they were just waiting to go in the dishwasher that needed to be unpacked. I told HD that he didn’t need to do that, and he replied, “It’s ok Mommy. Then you won’t have to!” Awww! Such a sweetheart!
By the time we got the dishes done, Kevin and Axten returned from doing chores, and the casserole was done. It was time to eat!
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy, kid-friendly recipe! What’s you’re typical Sunday evening meal? Leave me a link below to your favorite recipe! I’m always looking for new ones to try out! Thanks! Have a great week!
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 10 ounces frozen edamame
- 1 can cream of celery
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions with the dried onion. Drain.
- Steam edamame according to package and discard the pods.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, diced ham, edamame, cream of celery, sour cream, and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mix the remaining 1 cup of cheese with the bread crumbs and dried Italian seasoning.
- Spread evenly on the hot, bubbly casserole.
- Return to the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!