Yesterday I told you about my plans for our bedroom redo and showed some before pictures here. Once the room was all cleared out and the furniture was moved over to the shop where we had more room to spread out, we got to work on sanding and filling the holes from where the old hardware was attached. I had looked at Menards and didn’t find any hardware that I liked that matched up with those holes, so we figured the easiest thing to do was just fill them and redrill new holes later on.
Once all the holes were filled with Spackle and sanded smooth, we gave all the furniture a nice light sanding in order to help the paint stick better.
I think that we did one coat of primer that evening and second coat the next morning. The days are all running together! (Just so you all know, I wore a mask the entire time so I wasn’t inhaling paint fumes!)
After the two coats of primer, we painted on two coats of the black paint from Pittsburgh Paints from Menards.
Boy was the furniture really starting to look different! We only painted the outside of all the furniture. Nobody ever sees the inside of the dressers and drawers except Kevin and I and they are all full of clothes, so I didn’t see the need to paint that part.
The first coat didn’t look real pretty, but the second coat was much more even! I didn’t think it had to be perfect anyways, because I was going for the distressed look in the end!
Once the black paint on the furniture had plenty of time to dry, I used 220 grit sandpaper and randomly scuffed up the furniture. It’s really hard to see it these pictures because of the lighting inside the shop. I’ll have better pictures soon of the furniture when it’s actually in our bedroom.
After it was all distressed, I applied two coats of the Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish in Clear Semi-Gloss. At first I was wishing I would have gone with more of a matte finish, but once the furniture was put back in our room, I liked it!